Job Posting CLOSED
September 7, 2022
CAPCO Job Posting: Head Start/Early Head Start
Position: Assistant Teacher
Program: Head Start/Early Head Start
Reports to: Classroom Supervisor
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt, 44 weeks per year (summers
off) with benefits
$500 bonus paid out in two installments (October 2022 and April 2023)
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Required
Job Function: Assist and share the daily responsibilities with the classroom
teacher in providing a secure and positive learning environment which will
enable each child to obtain the awareness and skills necessary for a successful
transition into kindergarten. This environment should reflect an
age-appropriate, self-learning, nurturing, enjoyable, engaging, and a
self-confident space that requires performance of the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Arranges and prepares the classroom for the day’s learning
- Assists in administering children’s cognitive and social /
emotional screening to identify their developmental level and special
- Works with classroom teacher to assist in the planning and
curriculum preparation of the daily activities based on provided lesson
- Works collaboratively with the classroom teacher to create and implement
- Promotes positive behavior guidance to help children develop
appropriate classroom and social interaction skills. Practices effective
behavior management skills and strategies
- Supervises children at all times and keeps the teacher informed of
- Works with parents to assume leadership role in educating their
- Engage in positive interactions with families daily, informing
family about child while in the classroom and asking applicable and
appropriate questions about home life.
- Working with the classroom teacher, conduct two home visits and
two classroom conferences with families to discuss the child’s progress
and include family members in creating child development goals.
- Mentor new teachers on classroom operations, Head Start
performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Adheres to all Agency, Office of Head Start and NYS Office of
Children and Family Services policies, procedures guidelines and
- Collect, track, and maintain information and data for program
- Complete all applicable end-of-month paperwork timely per program
Education and/or Experience: At a minimum, have a CDA credential or a
state-awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA
credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate or
baccalaureate degree or, are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be
completed within two years of the time of hire.
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and
work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands
and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb
or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee
must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision and distance vision. The employee is occasionally
exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment
is usually loud.
CAPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not
discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally
recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service
member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, and
physical or mental disability. CAPCO will make reasonable accommodations for
qualified candidates in adherence of the Americans with Disabilities Act and
New York Human Rights Act.