Job Posting CLOSED
JSY Nutrition Educator
The Food Bank of the Southern Tier is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
The JSY Nutrition Educator is part of the Food Bank's team that supports access and education around healthy food in the emergency food network, using JSY SNAP-ed principles. This position oversees all Food Bank's JSY nutrition education workshops at community locations, including food pantries and meal sites. Responsibilities include workshop marketing, scheduling, preparing food, and facilitation of workshops for generally five to twenty people, using the JSY program curriculum. This position interacts extensively with households with varying perspectives on food and health, and that may have limited financial resources, high levels of trauma, and feelings of stigma associated with requesting emergency food assistance. Important skills for this position include a passion for preparing, cooking, and talking about healthy food; experience with food preparation for groups of people; active listening; and the ability to guide group discussions that integrate key JSY messages and topics important to workshop participants. The position works remotely and entails travel throughout the Food Bank's six-county service area, with 60% of the position's time working at community locations and 40% of the time working on-site from a home office. Food preparation for workshops generally takes place at the workforce member's home or the workshop location.
1. Communicate and regularly collaborate with the JSY Health & Nutrition Coordinator to ensure seamless JSY SNAP-ed support to food pantries and other partner agencies/community organizations.
2. Recruits for and schedules JSY nutrition education workshops at community sites, including partner agencies, with the goal of conducting 12 workshops per month. Strives to complement workshops with other health and nutrition education efforts, such as Cornell Cooperative Extension's SNAP-ed. Works closely with the Programs & Partnerships Coordinators to connect with sites throughout the Food Bank's service area.
3. Plans, shops for, and conducts in-person and virtual nutrition education workshops to meet JSY Program goals.
4. Provides nutrition resources, such as recipes, to partner agencies and FBST program sites, including printed JSY recipe cards. Responds to agency and client requests for recipes and other food information as needed.
5. Enters program data, maintains recordkeeping, procures necessary supplies for educational efforts, and organizes data to timely submit all JSY reports.
6. Keeps accurate inventory of JSY equipment and materials used for nutrition education workshops. Helps organize the Food Bank for JSY program reviews as needed.
7. Collaborates with Health & Nutrition Programs Manager and JSY Community Health & Nutrition Coordinator to provide technical assistance related to the Food Bank's nutrition policy and food acquisition. Participates in Food Bank's food acquisition team meetings.
8. Creates JSY-related messages for communications via email, newsletters and social media. Works closely with the Department of Development & Community Engagement to regularly communicate the schedule of nutrition education workshops, JSY resources, and important health and nutrition messages via social media.
9. With JSY Contract Manager approval, may help revise existing curriculum, create new curriculum, and develop recipes compatible with NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH) requirements and in response to audience and program needs.
10. Actively participates in JSY team conference calls and events. Participates in other SNAP-Ed related duties as assigned by NYSDOH Contract Manager or supervisor. Attends state-wide meetings as needed.
11. Works with Director of Health & Nutrition with preparation and development of JSY program plans, evaluation, budgets and schedules.
12. Serves as back-up to JSY Community Health & Nutrition Coordinator as needed.
13. Other duties as assigned.
FOOD BANK OF THE SOUTHERN TIER
Just Say Yes (JSY) Nutrition Educator 7/30/2021
Page 2 of 3
TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director of Health & Nutrition
STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday but will vary to accommodate workshops and pantry hours of operation
WORKSITE: Workforce members home office
WORK FROM HOME: Yes, required to work a minimum of 1-2 days per month at the FBST office
• Bachelor of Science in Nutrition or Public Health with a minimum of 15 credits in nutrition required
• Registered Dietitian preferred
• Minimum of 2 years in community nutrition or public health setting
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, the ability to use social media, and the capacity to create eye-catching outreach materials.