Job Posting OPEN
Position: Peer Counselor
Program: Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
Reports to: Breast Feeding Coordinator
Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Schedule: Variable, (7-9 hours per week)
Starting Wage: $14.00 – $15 per hour
Job Function: Responsible for giving basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers by performing the following duties.
Peer Counselor Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Attends breastfeeding training. Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help mothers enjoy a positive experience.
- Receives a caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine periodic contacts at scheduled intervals and as needed with all mothers assigned.
- Is available to WIC participants outside of usual clinic hours and outside of the clinic environment. Gives basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers, including information about the benefits of breastfeeding, overcoming common barriers, and getting a good start with breastfeeding. Helps mothers prevent and handle common breastfeeding concerns.
- Keeps accurate records of all contacts made with WIC mothers.
- Refers mothers, according to clinic-established protocols to:
WIC nutritionist or breastfeeding coordinator
Mother’s physician or nurse
Public health programs in the community
Social Service agencies
Infant’s health care provider
· Attends and assists with prenatal classes and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as appropriate and budget allows.
· Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by the supervisor.
· May assist WIC staff in promoting breastfeeding peer counseling and promoting breastfeeding in the community through special projects and duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements: High school diploma or High School Equivalency. Must have personal breastfeeding experience.
CAPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, and physical or mental disability. CAPCO will make reasonable accommodations for qualified candidates in adherence of the Americans with Disabilities Act and New York Human Rights Act.