Job Posting OPEN
Homeless Intake Support Specialist (HISS)
The Homeless Intake and Support Services
Specialist (HISS) has a dual role to support the homeless in Chemung County.
The HISS, will complete Intakes, in person, at Elmira Police Station and will
provide staffing oversight and support services to clients at the
shelter/warming station/motels. Contact at both locations will primarily be
with clients who are experiencing homelessness and/or housing crisis. The HISS,
will likely encounter clients that have experiences with long term
homelessness, mental health, and substance abuse concerns along with other
barriers that impact their ability to maintaining suitable/safe housing. In
both locations, the HISS will enter client information into the Homeless
Management Information System through AWARDS. Essential duties for this
position are empathy, effective communication skills, problem solving skills,
crisis de-escalation, multi-tasking, attention to detail, solution-based
results, and ability to be mobile.
ELMIRA POLICE STATION- the HISS is responsible for in person completion of; intakes, screening
assessments and applications (Temporary Assistance Application, Health
Screening, ILP, 4002, CE), after hours motel reservations and scheduled transportation
to motel/shelter/warming station.
STATION: The HISS will receive clients
being referred from the ELMIRA POLICE STATION. The HISS will welcome
Provides coverage at the Elmira
Police Station location and the shelter/warming station as scheduled.
1. Ability to have creative conversations about
2. Maintain an understanding of agency housing
programs and regulations, to provide clients a solution to their circumstances
to secure the optimum housing solution possible.
3. Ability to problem solve.
4. Inquire and document client income and
5. Intake duties require the completion of
assessments and applications with client(s).
6. Enter client information and progress notes
into HIMIS/AWARDS software system.
7. Manage the Master List for the Department of
Social Services outside of regular business hours.
8. Review and complete Homeless Housing
expectation and guidelines.
9. Maintain regular dialogue with the Emergency
Services Case Manager, through documentation and conversation, ensuring the
needs of the clients are being addressed.
10. When not on site at the Elmira Police
Department, hotline calls require mandatory responsiveness to report to Elmira
Police Department, not to exceed 15 minutes.
11. General office and clerical duties.
12. Attend team meetings as scheduled.
STATION, MOTEL SUPPORT SERVICES
1. Provide coverage as scheduled or needed.
2. Responsible for regular monitoring all areas
of facility regarding cleanliness, storage, appearance, and safety of all
3. Responsible for completion of maintenance work
orders for facility noted during shift.
4. Completion of incident reports as applicable
per the agency procedures.
5. Develop an approach that will work with each
client to create an environment that is calm and cohesive.
6. Responsible for all functions required for
day-to-day operations of the facility, during shift, i.e. supervision of meal
preparation, supply inventory, transportation, medication oversight, chores,
upcoming appointments, all in collaboration with the Emergency Services Case
7. Ensuring needs of guests at motels are met as
needed during your shift.
8. Other duties as assigned.
TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR:
High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 years of paid practical