Job Posting OPEN
Food Bank of the Southern Tier Seeks a Volunteer Coordinator
We believe in work-life balance!
At the Food Bank of the Southern Tier, we are committed to creating a future without hunger where access to healthy food by all is recognized as fundamental to the well-being and success of individuals and the foundation of a strong, vibrant society. We are striving to be a client-focused, engaged, high-performing team, leading a collaborative effort across our region to ensure equitable access to nutritious food through our values of Integrity, Learning, Inclusion, Caring, Respect, and Abundance.
Who are we looking for?
Are you passionate about making a difference in your community? Do you enjoy working with volunteers to build strong positive relationships? Look no further! The Food Bank of the Southern Tier is seeking a dynamic and driven Volunteer Coordinator to spearhead our mission and drive positive change in the lives of countless individuals.
Starting Wage: $22.00 - $24.00 per hour based on a 35-hour workweek.
The Volunteer Coordinator serves as the frontline liaison for the Food Bank of the Southern Tier's (FBST) Production Volunteer Program and as a pipeline to the annual fundraising program. The Production Volunteer Program supports volunteer relationships through daily production operation projects, which include receiving, food sorting, repacking, and order-building. The Volunteer Coordinator will support these efforts by coordinating successful, meaningful activities and experiences that cultivate relationships with volunteers, matching their time and talents with appropriate opportunities. The Volunteer Coordinator will interact extensively and be responsible for building and maintaining strong positive relationships with individual volunteers and volunteer groups to increase individual and collective commitment to the FBST mission. In addition, the Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting, retaining, and recognizing volunteers, program outreach, and program evaluation, ensuring that volunteers receive a quality experience while meeting the production needs of the Food Bank.
Volunteer Recruitment, Retention & Training
- Ensure excellent volunteer experiences by handling incoming calls, scheduling, and confirming individual volunteers and corporate volunteer groups.
- Coordinate with local volunteer groups (such as churches, college organizations, or local businesses) as well as individuals to promote events and generate interest in Food Bank volunteer services.
- Recognizes that volunteers are an integral part of the development and that having a positive volunteer experience is an important component of the development strategy at FBST.
- Work cooperatively with the Production Team and/or other departments to identify volunteer needs and schedule volunteers, ensuring that volunteers are safe, feel appreciated, and are engaged in appropriate projects best fitting their skills and abilities.
- Work "hands-on" with volunteers on projects such as food sorting, repacking, order-building, cleaning work areas, and building food boxes, ensuring a smooth operation and timely completion of volunteer projects to comply with delivery schedules.
- Coordinate and oversee the entire orientation and volunteer experience process from greeting them, signing in, orientation, providing tours, answering questions, and stewardship after the fact, such as taking photos of the groups after their activity, thanking them, and garnering feedback to ensure excellence in volunteer experiences at all levels.
- Develop and coordinate various volunteer recognition events/celebrations to be held throughout the year that celebrate volunteers and their commitment to FBST's mission. Events/celebrations include thank you letters, Appreciation Certificates given for years of volunteering (3, 5, etc.), and/or achieving volunteer hour milestones (100, 200, etc.), volunteer highlights in the Harvester, individual and group recognition displayed throughout the Production Department, Volunteer Lounge, and FBST Digital Communications, annual volunteer picnic, and other recognition events as determined appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Production team, evaluate each volunteer's job performance and appropriately address any volunteer issues and/or concerns.
- In partnership with the Development & Community Engagement (DCE) team, cultivates relationships and develops strategies that foster positive engagement of corporate and community groups to encourage financial support.
- In coordination with the Corporate Partnerships Manager, builds a pipeline for all incoming corporate and business volunteers for integration into the organization's overall fundraising strategy.
- Enter and maintain accurate data in Raiser's Edge that reflects contact information, communications, and meaningful interactions with individual volunteers, corporate businesses, and other volunteer groups.
- In coordination with the Communications team, create/produce written and visual promotional materials/newsletters for the Food Bank's website that promote recruiting, recognition of volunteers' efforts, and increase the community's awareness of the Food Bank's Volunteer Program.
- Regularly communicate with the Production team about volunteer shifts, corporate and business volunteer groups, and matters impacting the Volunteer Production Program.
- Collaborate with Community Empowerment Manager and other staff to assist in developing tools and programs that aid in strengthening a volunteer's understanding of the Food Bank and to offer hunger education opportunities for individuals and volunteer groups.
- Coordinate and implement volunteer policies and procedures, including agreements, waivers, and safety protocols.
Recordkeeping & Reporting
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise in using the online volunteer registration (Volunteer Hub) software, providing volunteers with a registration process that is user-friendly, efficient, and allows for adjustments/changes to the registration process as needed.
- Effectively utilize Raiser's Edge to track and analyze volunteer statistics, ensuring successful volunteer relations and program management that includes volunteer hours worked, service dates, preferences, accomplishments, and other data as appropriate.
- Periodically evaluate the program utilizing volunteer surveys, gathering feedback, and assessing performances; provide program recommendations and adjustments, as needed, to strengthen the program and volunteer's overall experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director of Communications
STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Thursday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, and Friday, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
WORK TYPE: On-site
WORK FROM HOME: Minimal; with supervisor approval
WORKSITE: 388 Upper Oakwood Avenue, Elmira, NY 14903
degree plus 2 years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and
experience in volunteer coordination or a customer
service role is preferred.
- Prior experience in
a Nonprofit Organization is a plus.
- Proficiency using
Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Teams is strongly
- Knowledge of
Volunteer Hub and Raiser’s Edge .
- Excellent written,
verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent group
- Strong organizing
and planning skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- Certified in ServSafe (must be obtained within 180 days after hire).
- Proven success in
building effective working partnerships.
The Food Bank of the Southern Tier is committed
to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment and is proud to be
an equal opportunity employer. Individuals who bring that perspective and
support diversity, equity, and inclusion in all forms are strongly encouraged
WHAT WE OFFER:
Food Bank of the Southern Tier offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program to our full-time workforce members who work 30 or more hours per week.
- Full-time, non-exempt position, working 35 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance!
- Paid Time Off, 10 days to start, 15 days after 1st Anniversary
- Holidays 12-14 paid holidays and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Legal & Identity Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 6% Pension
- Employee 403(b)
- My Better Benefits – provides discounts and savings on thousands of products and services.